The award is given to recognize individuals who have made outstanding achievements or contributions to the parks and recreation movement. The impact of their contribution must be of major significance to the local community or go beyond the local community.
Mr. VandenLangenberg has been involved in the Bellevue community for over 35 years, with many accomplishments benefiting and promoting parks and leisure services.
Entering his 14th year as the Village of Bellevue's Park Commission Chair, Roger has been directly involved in helping the Village accomplish several key initiatives, such as;
- The creation and development of the Village’s first official Parks and Recreation Department later re-created into the Leisure Services Department.
- The acquisition of 75% of the Village's current parkland.
- The development of the East River Trail Parkway, Willow Creek Park and Bower Creek Park.
- The construction of three community built playgrounds.
- The development of the Village’s Urban Forestry Program.
- The development of a Senior Advisory Board, on which he currently serves.
- The creation of multiple successful recreation programs for all age groups.
Roger has also been involved in a multitude of other community service projects, such as;
- Volunteering with the Bellevue Youth Softball program for over 35 years.
- Serving as the Town Chairman for four years and a Town Supervisor for nine years.
- Involvement in the Bellevue Business and Professional Association for approximately 30 years.
- Assisting with the Annual Community Picnic.
- Acting as a project leader in gardening for four years in the local 4-H.
- Helping raise over $200,000 over the past 30 years for his local church’s school athletic department.
- Serving on his church’s athletic committee for 30 years.
The Village of Bellevue is proud of Roger for his passion and dedication to improving the quality of life in our community.